Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Beetroot and feta tart recipe

Beetroot & Feta Quiche / Peedi-fetajuustupirukas

Cooksister's Jeanne is hosting this month's Monthly Mingle, and she chose topless tarts as the theme. She's one cheeky foodblogger, you know :) As my little family has been growing, I've been very bad in taking part various foodblogging events, but this theme really speaks to me and hence this post. I'm contributing this lovely beet and feta tart for the occasion. I know, I know - it wasn't so long ago that I blogged about beetroot tart. But March's beetroot tart was this lovely quiche with blue cheese and pickled beets. This time it's all about feta cheese and roasted beets!

I realise it's a risky choice for this month's mingle, as the hostess isn't so fond of beets. Hopefully she'll still accept my entry and give it the consideration it deserves :D

Here's a reminder from last summer - beets from our own garden:

Our beets / Meie oma aia peedid

Aren't they cute? I think they are ;)

Beetroot and feta tart
(Peedi-fetapirukas)
Inspired by Molly @ Orangette
Serves 6

Beetroot & Feta Quiche / Peedi-fetajuustupirukasA

Pastry:
180 g all purpose flour (300 ml)
0.5 tsp salt
0.5 tsp caster sugar
100 g cold butter, cut into cubes
cold water

Topping:
300 g boiled or roasted beets
200 g feta cheese
2 eggs
150 ml milk or single cream
fresh or dried oregano or dill
freshly ground black pepper

Make the pastry first. Combine flour, salt, sugar in a bowl of your food processor, then add the cold butter and process until you've got coarse crumbs. Now add a tablespoonful or two of cold water, until the dough comes together.
Flatten the dough into a disc and wrap in clingfilm. Place into the fridge for at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour.
Roll the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a circle large enough to fill a 24 cm springform tin. Transfer the dough into the tin, pressing it gently to the edge and up along the sides. Blind bake in a 200 C oven for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Great the beetroot coarsely, spread over the partly baked base.
Crumble the feta cheese over the beetroot.
Whisk the eggs with milk or cream, season with salt and dill or oregano. Pour over the tart.
Bake in a 180 C oven for about 35-40 minutes, until the egg is set.

5 comments:

Tiberia said...

Yey, beets! And I envy your garden - I guess you don't have to worry about destructive squirrels in your part of the world...

Nicola McE. said...

oh goodie, we just got beetroot in the veggie bag. I never know what to do with it..

Sara said...

This reminds me of something I made a while back: http://threecleversisters.com/2009/03/11/whole-beet-and-lemon-galette/

I would love to try to make this, but my husband refuses to touch anything with beets (except borscht) so I fear I'd have to eat the whole thing. Maybe tricking him with feta on top would help.

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

What a pretty tart - I wish I had fresh beetroot in my garden (alas I live in the desert!).

Viktoria said...

I just made your pie - it´s very nice!